Counseling available for grieving students

Cheney Mason / Winonan

Winona State University is mourning the death of 20-year-old student and Sheehan Hall RA Mary Sullivan, who was found dead in Sheehan Hall April 16.

Sullivan was from Milwaukee and was a student in health, exercise and rehabilitative sciences: cardiopulmonary rehabilitation.

The investigation is still in progress.

Sullivan was involved in many groups around campus, according to counselor Eunie Alsaker

“A lot of people knew Mary,” Alsaker said. “She was in many circles on campus. I’m assuming there is a lot of natural circles going on between students.”

Winona State health and wellness services provide counseling to all students and faculty. Alsaker said students are always able to turn to counseling services for help.

Counselors are also offering drop-in hours for students to come together, along with regular counseling.

Student Jackson Ramsland, a health and wellness advocate said the students in this group try to keep students informed about the options made available to them.

“Our job is to inform students around campus about different health topics like mental health awareness,” Ramsland said. “We tell people what different services are available like health services and counseling services that they can use.”

Ramsland said students can come to their presentations or visit their office in the integrated Wellness Complex for more information.

One suggestion Alsaker had for students was to follow a normal everyday routine or schedule, even if it is difficult, to help grieve.

“Students may be struggling with focus and concentrating and trying to digest information as it is the end of the semester, so we encourage people to consider tutoring or going to any extra supplemental instruction classes,” Alsaker said.

She also mentioned how talking to professors might be necessary for personal student success.

“Sometimes natural support is really the main thing that is needed,” Alsaker said.

She added while students can turn to counselors for support, their friends could be some of the best help they can find.

Counseling services are available by phone appointment or by walk in appointment.