Softball wins five of six games, moves 35-15 overall

Winona State University softball team cheers on sophomore Jamee Schleis after she hit a grand slam during their first game Thursday against Augustana University. The Warriors won 11-1 followed by 3-0 victory later in the day. (Photo by Brianna Murphy)

Kilat Fitzgerald / Winonan

The Winona State softball team had a big week  and came out ahead with five wins and one loss. On Thursday, things got off to a strong start with two victories in a doubleheader against the Augustana University Vikings at Alumni Field in Winona.

The first win was an 11-1 score garnered over the course of five innings on Thursday, followed by a 3-0 victory in game two.

Sophomore Jamee Schleis hit a grand slam that completed a 10-run third inning brought together by the combined effort of the Warriors.

With a single off to left side, senior Reed Karsten began the inning. First-year Lani Van Zyl loaded the bases with a walk which brought Karsten in to score, giving the Warriors an early lead.

The second game the Warriors were also successful, winning 3-0. Sophomore Mckenna Larsen contributed to the team’s victory with a six-hit shutout.

During the second inning, junior Allyson O’Herron hit a single up the middle, bringing in two runs. Karsten brought in a run as well with a single up the middle, to move the Warriors 3-0.

Saturday’s matchup was a tight split between two games against University of Sioux Falls at Sherman Park.

Unlike Thursday’s game, the Warriors came away from the first game of the doubleheader against the Cougars empty-handed.

Game two ended with a score of 5-2 in the Warrior’s favor. Up until the fifth inning, the Warriors had a tough time bringing in runs. A throwing error made on a base hit by Schleis allowed Karsten to score. A second throwing error brought Schleis in giving the Warriors a 2-0 lead.

Van Zyl had an RBI triple in the sixth inning that brought in sophomore Tayler Oberman. O’Herron brought in Van Zyl to score with a RBI single to the left side. Sophomore Mariah Schultz then secured the 5-2 win for the Warriors when she scored off of a wild pitch.

On Sunday, against and at Southwest Minnesota State University, Winona State earned two victories.

Senior Hanna Lythberg made her second no-hitter of the season at the conclusion of the regular season along with a 2-0 win in game one.

“It’s exciting; it’s what every pitcher dreams of. Lythberg said. “I definitely want to attribute my success to the team. Without them I wouldn’t be able to do this.”

This was the 19th no-hitter in program history, with Lythberg becoming the third Winona State pitcher ever to record multiple no-hitters in a career. She also became the first to toss an extra-inning no-hitter.

Game two on Sunday was a challenge for Winona State. The comeback was made in the fifth inning, after the Warriors scored seven runs to lead 7-1.

Winona State (35-15 overall, 17-10 NSIC) opens NSIC Tournament play on Thursday in Sioux Falls, S.D. The NSIC bracket is scheduled to be released on Monday.