Living History Project: my experience

Living History Project: my experience

By Matthew Lambert

Since January 11th, I’ve been working on a project.

Well, I should start by saying that WE have been working on a project.

This project has been the most overwhelming, stressful, and angriest I’ve ever gotten over schoolwork. I try my best to stay levelheaded, not to stress about the small stuff. I’ve even considered getting a tattoo that says “don’t make mountains out of mole hills” (OK, not really, but you get the point).

Though I’ve had all of these different issues and angst over this project, I can’t help feel like this is the most important assignment I’ve ever done.

Oh, the class I’m taking is Topics in Mass Communication: Living History taught by Dr. Tom Grier.

In the class, each group is assigned to a Winona State alumnus, someone who had a lasting impact on the school during their time being employed by the college and even into their retirement.

The class is partnered with the good people of the Winona State Alumni Center, Dr. Jim Reynolds and Jessica Kauphsuman who found the four lucky participants in the project, including all of the supporting interviews.

I say lucky, because, frankly, they are lucky. They’re having their life commemorated and remembered. But while they’re lucky, they’re even more deserving.

The deserving alumni are: Bob Keister, a former coach of football, track, basketball, and wrestling, Dr. Emilio DeGrazia, an English professor, Dr. George Bolon, a professor of Physics, and Vivian Fusillo, a professor of Theatre and Dance.

Each story is unique, with areas that’ll make you laugh, some that will make you feel like you’ve known them your entire life, and areas that’ll make you wish you could’ve been their student.

For me, I know what emotion I’ll have on display, but will try my best to hide: tears.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be in the Bob Keister group. As an avid sports fan, I was excited at the opportunity to learn about Winona State during Bob’s tenure from the 60’s to the 90’s.

It’s been incredible and my group has taught me things I couldn’t have dreamed of. I’d like to thank those people: Jennie Hanson, Jacob Hilsabeck, Sam Nieman, Tori Norris, and Phil Pronschinske. At times I’ve hated you, but more often than not, you’ve all been great.

As well as, Dr. Grier, who’s been tough, resourceful, and flexible throughout this semesters long process of trying to capture someone’s life.

More than anything though, as I speak for my entire group and the other 17 people taking the class, thank you to the alumni that allowed us into your homes and invade your privacy to try and do justice with your life.

I offer an invitation to all, on May 5th from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. we will be showing the films with all of the alumni and their family in attendance in Somsen Auditorium.

Please come, see what we’ve been working on for months, and enjoy.

For me, I won’t be watching my film. No, instead I’ll be watching Bob. I want to watch the emotions go over his face when he sees his old players Bernard “Bernie” Kennedy and Larry Holstad talk about how they had to work their butt off for him, but love him immensely.

The biggest challenge I see going forward, except for wrapping up final editing on the film, is making sure I don’t cry.

But no promises.