Winona State nursing recognized nationally

Faculty of graduate program receives award for innovation in health

Michaela Gaffke / Winonan

A national award for innovative curriculum on community health was awarded to Winona State University’s Graduate Nursing Program.

The program will be receiving the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention/American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Innovations in Graduate Population Health Curriculum Award in October.

To earn this award, the curriculum must demonstrate an advanced strategy that enhances or increases the population health content in a graduate nursing program as an important part of nursing education, commitment to preparing graduates that incorporate population health in their nursing practice and positive outcomes that are measurable. The final requirement also insists that the curriculum has been in place for at least one year.

“The graduate program has focused on underserved members of the community such as immigrants and refugees. It is a rich experience for students while benefiting the community they serve,” professor and Dean of the College of Nursing & Health Sciences William McBreen said.

The students go out into the community in Rochester, Winona and surrounding areas and engage in communities in the Boys & Girls Club, churches, refugee groups and other community groups.

Professor and Director of Nursing Sciences, Sonja Meiers said, “The graduate faculty is committed to creating and maintaining relations with community members so that students can continue to serve in these communities.”

Even without the recognition Winona State has an outstanding faculty, McBreen added.

“We kind of just do our work and don’t realize that we do exceptional things,” Meiers said.

Winona State will be presented the award during the AACN Fall Semiannual Meeting in October in Washington, DC.

-By Michaela Gaffke