Missing student found in river

Missing student found in river

Nathaniel Nelson / Winonan

Winona emergency responders recovered the body of missing Winona State University sophomore Chukwudi Benjamin “Ben” Onyeaghala, 19, of White Bear Lake, Minn. in the Mississippi River near Homer, Minn. Tuesday morning.

Onyeaghala was studying Exercise and Rehabilitative Science with a focus on Movement Science and had been missing since Oct. 7.

On Tuesday morning, a resident near Homer, Minn. reported seeing something in the Mississippi River about 100 yards away from their house, according to the Winona Daily News.

Around 10 a.m., with help from the Wabasha County Dive Rescue and the Winona County Dive Rescue, Onyeaghala’s body was recovered.

Onyeaghala was last seen on video walking by the Winona State library at 9:51 p.m. Friday night, and then near the intersection of Sarnia and Huff streets around midnight.

On Saturday, dive teams worked to survey the Mississippi River in hopes of recovering the missing student, focusing on a section of Levee Park where a man matching Onyeaghala’s description was reportedly seen.

The Winona Police Department also urged local citizens to check sheds, garages and other potential shelters for any sign of the missing student.

Winona State President Scott Olson issued an email statement to the whole university Monday afternoon urging the Winona community to be vigilant in searching and to come forward with any information about Onyeaghala.

“This is a very difficult time for our community. Please keep Ben’s friends and family in your thoughts and prayers, and offer support to one another,” Olson said.

In response to the discovery of Onyaeaghala’s body, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Life Denise McDowell issued a statement to all of Winona State via email offering support to Onyeaghala’s friends and family.

“I ask all members of the WSU community to keep Ben’s family and friends in your thoughts and prayers. During this difficult time, gently connect with those among us who may be struggling with acceptance and understanding,” McDowell said. “May we find peace and the strength to endure as we remember Ben’s life and the good times shared.

Counseling Services in the Integrated Wellness Complex room 222 are available for students from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Walk-ins and appointments are available as needed. Counseling Services can be reached at 507-457-5330.

-By Nathaniel Nelson

*This article has been updated for online publication after new developments in the story. It differs from the printed article on page two.