Sheriff, county attorney host forum at Winona State

Cheney Mason / Winonan

Approximately a dozen Winona State University students and faculty members shared safety and post-election concerns within the Winona area in an open forum Thursday, Nov. 17.

Winona County Sheriff Ron Ganrude and Winona County Attorney Karin Sonneman spoke with and answered questions from faculty and students in the Purple Rooms of Kryzsko Commons.

Sonneman expressed her fear about the climate of the community following the election.

“I am concerned about the very radical shift in the country,” Sonneman said. “People preaching hate.”

The forum was co-sponsored by the Winona State’s KEAP Diversity Resource Center, Student Leader Council, Winona Human Rights Commission and the Inclusion and Diversity Office.

Students and other members of the Winona community were able to ask questions during of the forum.

Numerous questions were focused on the safety and possible biases students may face if they are of a different ethnicity or identify themselves as a member of the LGBTQ community.

Sonneman said the students’ concerns are worth investing time in coming up with constructive solutions.

“We need to learn more about the protocols if more incidents of hate come on campus, develop communication to work together as a community,” Sonneman said.

Ganrude commented on students’ safety complaints regarding persons on Winona State campus spreading hate, adding that the police will intervene if anything criminal happens.

“People can get arrested for that kind of behavior,” Ganrude said. “If there is something there criminally, we’re going to take action.”

He added that safety of students is important to him and his officers.

“We all need to be concerned about personal safety,” Ganrude said. “Too many people don’t call [911] when they see something suspicious.

Both Ganrude and Sonneman made it clear to students and faculty in the room not to hesitate to dial 911 if they feel themselves or someone else near them is in danger or they feel uncomfortable or violated in any way.

“Don’t be afraid to call [911],” Ganrude said. “If someone is being racist or sexist, get away from the situation and call the department. They will try to get them.”

-By Cheney Mason