‘Oh! What a Lovely War’ performance in photos

Allison Mueller

“Oh! What A Lovely War” summarized the historical events of WWI using parodies of popular songs of the time. It was performed at Winona State University from April 5-8 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater. The script recites actual words spoken by public figures from different countries in Europe.

Student actors learned how to converse in quick conversation in different dialects from around the world.

“Developing characters for this play was interesting because, with a lot of them, you can do close to whatever you want with them, as long as the director’s okay with it,” junior Sam Scherrer said, who acted in the performance. “Much of it is informed by historical and dramatic context, but you aren’t necessarily performing realistically. Our characters were clowns performing as real people.”

With a balance of light and dark mood tones, the play shared the different viewpoints of the general public versus the military.

Photos by Taylor Nyman and Nicole Girgen:

Student actors gather in a religious service in the second act during an “Oh! What A Lovely War” dress rehearsal on Monday, April 3 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater in the Performing Arts Center. In the performance, this service allows soldiers to eat pork if Jewish, meat if Catholic and work on the Sabbath day if in service of the war.

Left to right: senior Adam Calcagno, junior Becca Borchardt and senior Brad Krieger portray Irish soldiers in a trench during combat of WWI in a dress rehearsal of Winona State’s spring production of “Oh! What A Lovely War” on Monday, April 3 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater.
Left to right: junior Jake Leif, junior Sam Scherrer, junior Sam Bolt and senior Adam Calcagno perform in Winona State’s spring play “Oh! What A Lovely War” dress rehearsal on Monday, April 3 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater in the Performing Arts Center.

Theatre professor Heather Williams-Williams portrays Mrs. Pankurst in the play “Oh! What A Lovely War” during a dress rehearsal on Monday, April 3 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater.

Actors portray the struggles of soldiers in during WWI while stuck in trenches in combat in Winona State’s spring play “Oh! What A Lovely War” in a dress rehearsal on Monday, April 3 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater.
Junior Ella Dirberger emerges from an arch while singing during act two of Winona State’s production of “Oh! What A Lovely War” at a dress rehearsal on Monday, April 3 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater.

Junior Becca Borchardt sings “Belgium Put the Kibosh on the Kaiser” with the chorus at a dress rehearsal for Winona State’s spring play “Oh! What A Lovely War” on Monday, April 3 in the Vivian Fusillo Main Stage Theater.