Study Abroad office holds Study Abroad Fair

A student received information regarding studies in South Korea.
Matthew Seckora/Winonan

Rebecca Mueller/Winonan

Students learned about the possibilities of studying abroad at the Study Abroad Fair last week.

The Study Abroad office typically holds the event once in the fall semester and once in the spring semester. An average of 200 students typically attend the event. The audience listen to students who have previously studied abroad.

“For the most part, we want everyone to have the ability to experience study abroad,” said Shelby Gravenhof, a student worker in the Study Abroad office. To be able to study abroad, a student must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and pass a background check.

Winona State University currently offers a variety of study abroad programs for fifteen different countries through more than fifteen schools, the most popular destination being Spain.

A number of travel study opportunities are also available, but were not highlighted during the event because the destinations can change from year to year.

New to the list of possible destinations through the Winona State Study Abroad office are Dublin, Argentina, Bangladesh, and Costa Rica. Students also have the option to enroll in study abroad programs outside of Winona State.

The study abroad experience allows students to immerse themselves in a second language or a new culture, but there are other benefits as well.

“It’s really good for global competency,” Gravenhof said. Today’s students are part of a global society, so it is important for everyone to experience life in other countries and cultures, she said.

At the event, students were given a passport card and allowed to visit tables for each study abroad destination. Upon learning about a destination, they would receive a purple sticker. They could also use the passports to request more information about any of the destinations.

The passports would be turned in when the students were ready to leave, in exchange for ice cream, ID pouches, and entry into a drawing for one of two food baskets filled with tasty treats.

“I got a ton of information,” said sophomore Jacob Smith. He is considering studying linguistics and would benefit from studying abroad because he would be able to experience different languages. Though they are not currently offered through Winona State, Smith’s top two destinations are the Russian Federation and Wales.

In order to take part in a study abroad program, students must first fill out the information packet and be accepted by Winona State’s Study Abroad office. They will then need to apply to the foreign university in order to be accepted into the program. Students are also in charge of applying for a visa and setting up travel arrangements.

“You have to be pretty independent because you’re doing this on your own,” said International Recruiting Assistant Amy Debruyckere.

Although students must handle each step of the application process on their own, the staff in the Study Abroad office is able to guide them through the enrollment process and answer any questions they might have.

Students who would like to study abroad should begin gathering information about a year before their semester abroad would begin. Events like the Study Abroad Fair allow students to start asking questions and explore the possibilities.

The deadline to register for a spring semester study abroad program is Oct. 10.

Contact Rebecca at [email protected]