P.A.T.C.H. reaches out to students with chronic illness

Brent Quam/Winonan

Sara Hallberg, counselor with Winona State University Counseling and Wellness Services, has taken it upon herself to create a support group for students dealing with chronic diseases.

Hallberg and five students came up with the name Positive Action Towards Changing Health, or P.A.T.C.H.

A student who attended the meeting, Megan Frederick, said, “I have never been part of a support group before, though I have been in three-week programs where part is support group-based, while also learning techniques for living with chronic health problems.”

This will be the first time being involved in a support group for many of the students involved; enthusiasm among members is high.

“Being able to talk with others who know what you are going through is a tremendous help,” Frederick said. “I believe having a support group for anything is an integral part of getting through each day. Knowing I have the support and that people believe in me makes getting up and doing things in my life so much easier than if I were to be doing it all on my own.”

Hallberg first thought of the idea while working at Truman State University in Michigan.  There, her group swelled to 15 participants.

Here at Winona State, Hallberg has given a series of lectures and presentations on health services, disabilities and stress relief.

She decided that wasn’t enough.

“The main idea is to connect students with others who are dealing with the same thing,” said Hallberg.

The support group will meet weekly in the group room of the counseling office from 4 until 5 p.m.  The group welcomes new members and is encouraging anyone who would like to attend.

Contact Brent at [email protected]