Galentine’s Day brightens public library for ladies

Shannon Galliart

Local craftspeople and business owners gathered to sell their products at the Galentine’s Day event at the Winona Public Library on Thursday, February 13th. Along with the vendors and crafts, there were snacks, a s’mores bar and a hot cocoa bar open to the guests.

Kellen Brandt, Features Reporter

Thanks to beloved television show character Leslie Knope and her show, Parks and Recreation, the day before Valentine’s day is known as Galentine’s day, a day just for the ladies.

On Feb. 13 at 6 p.m. the Winona Public Library put on their very own Galentine’s day for the second year in a row.     

Samantha Berhow works with adult services at the library and is the programming and events leader. Berhow explained a bit more about what Galentine’s day at the library is.

“What we do to celebrate is we invite vendors that embody women’s health or pampering in their sales, so that’s what the vendors are here for, and then we have three different crafts. The crafts are made so that you can do them quickly, that you can have fun and then you can take them home right away, Berhow said. “And then we have a tarot card reader and she’s actually a staff member, which is really exciting.”

Along with the vendors and crafts, there were snacks, a s’mores bar and a hot cocoa bar.

Two community members, Kelly Ebbesen and Rachael Nordby, were just about to end their Galentine’s day with some crafts when they spoke about the day.

“It’s cool to have an event to celebrate women, I love it and I think there should be more things to do together especially that aren’t based on drinking,” Ebbesen said.

The ladies both agreed that it was exciting to have a place to celebrate Galentine’s day without having to be at a bar or be somewhere that serves alcohol.

While celebrating women is the main point of the holiday, Berhow said all genders, not just women, are welcome as well.

The event is to celebrate ladies so it’s primarily marketed towards females, but you can bring your guy friends too,” Berhow said. “So, it’s for guys and gals as long as you’re celebrating the ladies is all we care about.”

Berhow encourages college students to get off campus and come in following years.

“As far as you know the college age group, this is a great time to get to downtown Winona and have a little fun,” Berhow said.

The event is for all ages, so there is a little something for everyone who comes.

Community member and eighth grader, Lilia Civettini, joined in on the fun and came as well.

Civettini made all the crafts, snacked on a s’more, and got some goodies before she left.

“My favorite part was the s’mores, they had yummy cookies and an indoor roaster for them,” Civettini said.

Civenttini said she likes Valentine’s day because you get to express love for your family more than you normally get to. While she likes Valentine’s day, there is just something special to her about Galentine’s day.

The opinions expressed in this paper are not necessarily those of Winona State University, the Minnesota State Colleges and University system, or the Winona State University student body.