Women’s basketball take last home games

Kristen Carrie

Winona State freshman forward Alex Dornfeld of Markesan, Wis., shoots as University of Sioux Falls forward Jacey Huinker, a graduate student from Altoona, Iowa, attempts to block her. The Warriors defeated the twelfth-ranked Sioux Falls Cougars 73-59 on Friday, Feb. 14 at Winona State’s McCown Gymnasium.

Austin Wallert, Basketball Reporter

The Winona State women’s basketball team got back to business this weekend as they halted their four-game skid and started a different streak in the win column.

On Friday, Feb. 14, the Warriors hosted the Cougars, ranked number 12, from the University of Sioux Falls, who only had three losses coming into the weekend.

One of those losses, and now two of them, are at the hands of the Warriors as they sweep the Cougars with a 73-59 victory.

The Warriors last win was also against the Cougars three weekends ago when they were ranked no. 11.

Assistant coach Ana Wurtz knows how flat the Warriors were playing the previous weekends and just wanted them to come out with a lot of energy and team chemistry.

“[They had] a lot of energy, and honestly I just want to see them have fun,” Wurtz said. “We talk a lot about just enjoying your time with each other. We don’t have seniors, and this is usually the time of the year when you talk about that sort of thing, but still, time is ticking and every day is a new opportunity and another day to be with your team.”

The Warriors were 6-5 at home, so they needed a big weekend to end positive on their home court and keep their positioning for the play offs.

Sioux Falls is known for their drives and kick outs for perimeter shots, so Wurtz wanted to make sure her defense was ready.

She talked about containing drives to eliminate the open shot opportunities and slowing the Cougars down in transition. If the team takes good shots and takes care of the ball, they can limit the amount of times the Cougars get out and run.

The Warriors did just that as they burst out to an early 23-14 lead in the first.

The team chemistry seemed to be on point as the Warriors won three of the four quarters with the Warriors only blemish being in the second quarter.

Junior Allie Pickrain lead the way with 20 points knocking down four threes, and fellow Junior Emma Fee was right behind her with 15 points, not missing a single shot on the night.

“I liked the energy,” Wurtz said. “We kept pushing the momentum, that second quarter we kind of took a step back, but the girls kept fighting.  And you could just tell the huddles were different, we always felt comfortable because we felt we were in control, but again that starts with the energy.”

Warriors looked to keep that energy rolling into Saturday’s match up with the Southwest Minnesota State Mustangs galloping to town.

“We need to look to take our shots when we are open. Come out straight from the beginning being aggressive, they’re going to be pushing the tempo, so take good shots and take care of the ball,” Wurtz said, minutes before tip-off.

The game could not have gone any better for the Warriors as the shooting touch was contagious throughout demolishing the Mustangs 86-63.

Pickrain lead the way again as she finished with 23 points knocking down seven daggers from deep.

Sophomore Sydney Lodermeier was also in her bag hitting two shots from the perimeter and finishing with 16 points.

Winona State improved to 16-8 on the season and 12-8 in the NSIC.

They have one more weekend of play on the road before the NSIC tournament. The team will go up against Concordia University – St. Paul and Minnesota State University – Mankato.

The opinions expressed in this paper are not necessarily those of Winona State University, the Minnesota State Colleges and University system, or the Winona State University student body.