Player profile: senior basketball player, Caleb Wagner

+Winona+State+guard+Caleb+Wagner%2C+a+senior+from+Muskego%2C+Wisc.%2C+dunks+despite+the+efforts+of+University+of+Sioux+Falls+forward+Teathloach+Pal%2C+a+senior+from+Fridley%2C+Minn.+during+a+game+at+Winona+State%E2%80%99s+McCown+Gymnasium+on+Friday%2C+Feb.+14.+Winona+State+fell+49-51+in+a+tight+game+against+Sioux+Falls.

ARCHIVED PHOTO

Winona State guard Caleb Wagner, a senior from Muskego, Wisc., dunks despite the efforts of University of Sioux Falls forward Teathloach Pal, a senior from Fridley, Minn. during a game at Winona State’s McCown Gymnasium on Friday, Feb. 14. Winona State fell 49-51 in a tight game against Sioux Falls.

Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

After four years at Winona State University Caleb Wagner has his name in the school record books.

As the lone senior on the men’s basketball team, Wagner finished his career as Warrior in the top-ten for assists, three-pointers made and free throw percentage in school history.

Wagner said it feels good to be recognized.

“It is a great honor to be in the record books with some amazing players,” Wagner said.

Like other college students, Wagner choose Winona State because of proximity and the basketball team’s reputation.

“The tradition of Winona State basketball was also a factor because I wanted to come to a good program,” Wagner said.

Long before he came to Winona State, he was inspired by the late Kobe Bryant and his own father.

This season, Wagner had the second-most points in a game in Winona State history when he dropped 47 points against Sioux Falls, even though it was in a loss for the team.

In that game he hit six of seven three’s and added five assists.

Although Wagner had a career-high performance against Sioux Falls, his favorite game as a Warrior came against Minnesota-Crookston in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) tournament in his junior season.

In the game, he had 24 points and seven rebounds as the Warriors got the 80-67 win.

With Wagner graduating, someone will have to take over his leadership role.

“Devin Whitelow has a huge leadership role already, he’s a point guard and when we’re breaking down, he is a great leader,” Wagner said.

After graduating from Winona State, he still wants to purse basketball possibly overseas.

As a basketball player, Wagner felt he improved his game through training and extra hours of shots and lifting.

“Getting in extra workouts with Coach Malvik and Coach TJ (Lake) were very beneficial to me,” Wagner said.

If he doesn’t play basketball next year he is also looking into graduate school at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Overall, Wagner’s time at Winona State University was very helpful.

“Winona State prepared me to always work for what you want and to always cherish what you have,” Wagner said. “I loved my experience here at Winona State and will use many lessons I learned here in my future.”

Wagner ends his career at Winona State with honors such as 2017-18 NSIC Second Team, National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Honors Court (2018-19) and NSIC All-Academic (2017-18, 2018-19).