Winona State students talk current COVID-19 lockdown

Sophia Sailer, Editor-in-Chief

On Nov. 18, Governor Tim Walz imposed new restrictions due to the significant rise in COVID-19 cases in Minnesota.

The restrictions include bars, gyms, sports and restaurants closing with only curbside pickup available for four weeks.

Schools will stay under the hybrid plan, shifting between in-person and distanced learning depending on the COVID spread in your area.

Students heading home for Thanksgiving break are facing the possibility of another virus outbreak.

Mal Bowman, a first-year student majoring in English with a writing emphasis, believes that with restaurants and bars closing, the virus will weaken.

“Eating out is not something that you have to do,” Bowman said. “Many of these restaurants are still open for takeout and delivery as well, so there is still a way to support local businesses while still keeping yourself and others safe.”

However, Lauren Myhre, a first-year student studying journalism, thinks that shutting down businesses will most likely end up with indefinite closures.

“A lot of businesses will not stay afloat if everything goes into shut down mode again,” Myhre said. “This is because we already have given quite a few relief checks and we as a society have already been put through the ringer, we can’t afford to do that again.”

All outdoor recreation centers may remain open but all indoor centers will be closed during the 4-week lockdown.

Bowman expressed how important it is for college students to stay safe with the rise in cases.

College students can be a carrier to family members and community members while traveling to different cities over breaks like Thanksgiving break and winter break.

Students are allowed to stay on campus for campus-wide breaks but most choose to travel back to their homes, although Winona State had urged students to remain on campus if they had in-person classes following Thanksgiving break to slow the spread of COVID.

“I don’t think any of us want to get sent back home two or three weeks into the semester. That alone should be enough motivation to continue to follow campus guidelines and make sure we do our best to stay safe,” Bowman said.

Myhre agreed that staying safe is the most important thing for students to keep in mind right now.

“Students should stay in Winona until the peak of COVID happens because everyone leaving for Thanksgiving could possibly give COVID to their loved ones who pass it on to others as well,” Myhre said.

Winona State students began fall and Thanksgiving break on Nov. 25 with classes resuming on Nov. 30.