“GIVE ME MY FLOWERS”: photography exhibition exalts black women and girls

On+Feb.+15%2C+2023%2C+Ed%E2%80%99s+No+Name+Bar+held+an+exhibition+for+La+Vonte+Thompson%E2%80%99s+latest+installment+of+%E2%80%9CGIVE+ME+MY+FLOWERS%E2%80%9D+which+focused+primarily+on+black+women+and+girls.+

Jiovani Bermudez

On Feb. 15, 2023, Ed’s No Name Bar held an exhibition for La Vonte Thompson’s latest installment of “GIVE ME MY FLOWERS” which focused primarily on black women and girls.

Madeline Mill, News Reporter

La Vonte Thompson’s photography career started a bit unconventionally.

“My girlfriend Alexis liked a picture when we were dating, you know, we were trying to impress the hell out of each other,” Thompson said.

After his girlfriend suggested he take up photography, Thompson’s passion for his hobby grew into something more. His exhibit, “GIVE ME MY FLOWERS” features different installments to shine a light on the experiences of black people.

On Feb. 15, 2023, Ed’s No Name Bar held an exhibition for Thompson’s latest installment of “GIVE ME MY FLOWERS” which focused primarily on black women and girls.

The photographs featured two models (Asiah Reedy and Ahniya Morgan) with backgrounds meant to further represent who the models are as black women. Both models held bouquets of flowers.

One model’s photos were taken in front of a dark backdrop with the model standing in a spotlight. Her photos were meant to represent her own individuality as well as totality.

The second model’s photos were taken in front of several pieces of art and other pieces representing her personal interests. These photos were meant to demonstrate how black women are different on the inside than how they are perceived on the outside.

Both models had photos taken with and without the flowers. The purpose of the flowers were to illustrate the beauty and power black women have.

Fourth-year Winona State University student Rosalie Richardson felt that the exhibit held a deeper meaning in terms of identity and color.

“It made you kind of think of how people need to show their identity in stronger ways because of their color,” Richardson said.

Thompson, a black man raised primarily by black women, understands that the struggles black women endure can be challenging. Because of this, Thompson has high hopes for more exhibits in the future.

Thompson’s work is available for purchase and he plans on creating more installments to the series. Thompson’s Instagram is @huebris.framed.

“I plan on doing this exact thing every year, except bigger and bigger as I go forward,” Thompson said.

Thompson plans on creating more installments for “GIVE ME MY FLOWERS” with other black women, men, people of color and minorities.

For those who possess an interest in photography, Thompson believes it is the eye that creates high-quality art, not the price of the equipment.

“Don’t be afraid to try something, and don’t do it for the money,” Thompson said.

More of Thompson’s photography will be seen on March 3 at the Winona Historical Society. The collection on display will be titled, “Colors”.

Thompson’s work is available for purchase. Thompson’s Instagram is huebris.framed.