Badminton Club aims to expand club membership and involvement across campus

Members+of+the+Badmitton+club+such+as+David+Ruiz+and+McKinzey+Johnson+meet+in+Talbot+Gym+weekly+between+7%3A30+p.m.+to+10+p.m+each+Thursday+to+face+off+against+their+peers.+

Mercedes Johnson

Members of the Badmitton club such as David Ruiz and McKinzey Johnson meet in Talbot Gym weekly between 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m each Thursday to face off against their peers.

Pronob Kumar, Sports Reporter

Winona State University Badminton Club hosts badminton practice for the students every Thursday from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. They also have a point system that awards players after the season ends. 

This badminton workshop started in the Fall of 2022. In the beginning, it used to be only friendly matches. There were no tournaments or point systems. But as it started to become more popular people became more competitive.

One player named Abu Nayeem was asked about the game, and he said, “I really enjoy playing it because it requires a combination of speed, agility, strategy, and precision. It’s a physically demanding sport that keeps me active and helps me stay in shape, which is great for my overall health and well-being.”

When the new season started, the club made every match worth a single point so every match would count. And to avoid cheating, they added additional rules like one player can win one point against one player a day. For the point games, any of the club admins must know about it before it starts.

These Thursday practices are good recreation for students, and as more time went by the number of students increased day by day. In the beginning, the Badminton Club only needed four courts open but by the end of the year, they had to make it six. Sometimes, even six courts did not cut it and some students resorted to using netless courts to practice. 

These practices are not only enjoyed by students but also by alumni and some professors. Some  people come to have their evening recreation after work and play badminton games. 

Badminton is also an opportunity for students to socialize. One student named Denise Roque said, “Playing badminton allows me to socialize with my fellow players and make new friends. I enjoy the competitive aspect of the game, but also appreciate the camaraderie and sportsmanship that is part of the badminton community. Overall, I find the game to be both challenging and enjoyable, and it’s a great way for me to unwind and have fun after a long week of studying.”

One of the organizers of the weekly event named Daniel Findell commented that they are looking for more people to run the club next year. According to him, everyone wants to play, but no one wants to do duties. This sport has a big reputation in the Olympics, and it is a designated athlete in many schools. Unfortunately, this game is not a part of Winona State Athletics. But the organizers hope that it will be added in the near future.