Ron Strege – Winner of the Award for Excellence in University Services

Ron+Strege+in+his+office.+He+is+the+director+of+the+Warrior+Success+Center.+He+was+selected+as+Outstanding+Service+Faculty+Member+at+WSU.+
Chris Reed
Ron Strege in his office. He is the director of the Warrior Success Center. He was selected as Outstanding Service Faculty Member at WSU.

Winona State University has many fantastic faculty members all around campus. From the Admissions Office to the Health & Wellness Center, we have many important staff members to be thankful for, especially around this time of year.

The Minnesota state system understands this and created the Award for Excellence in University Services in 2007 to recognize the work and dedication of the faculty inside Association of Administrative and Service Faculty, or ASF.

Every year a faculty member is chosen to represent Winona State as a nominee for the state-wide award. This year that honor fell to Ron Strege, the director of the Warrior Success Center here on campus.

The Warrior Success Center runs a variety of different programs and offices focused on helping students at Winona State. Ron Strege outlines everything the office has to offer.

“We have career services, advising for students deciding their major, orientation, tutoring, and access services,” said Strege. “It’s always kind of with the same gear of helping students overcome barriers.”

For all his work and for the many students he helped, Ron Strege was nominated for the award and was chosen to attend the award banquet in April.

“The nomination list was full of good people to be lumped in with. People that I know, personally, that go out of their way to be outstanding,” said Strege. “If you ask me, there’s probably three of four people on that list that do more than I do.”

Strege’s humble attitude extends through to his work, striving to meet students where they need to be rather than simply putting them through the system. He continually cited the Success Center’s efforts to remain student centered and cater to what individuals need.

All of this work put him above the other amazing people on the nomination list in the eyes of the board.

“I don’t expect to win,” said Strege. “I’m only in my sixth year and there are people with whole careers up for nomination.”

The Warrior Success Center is essentially a one-stop solution for students experiencing almost any kind of difficulty, and it has helped many students thrive. Career Services is one of the most important services available to students.

The Warrior Success Center offers help in attaining on-campus employment opportunities, like work-study or student help. Students can take advantage of the Handshake application, which even offers employment located off-campus. David Estrada was able to get his current job this way.

“It was super easy. All I did was apply through Handshake,” said Estrada. “They made sure everything went smoothly.”

For those seeking academic advising, employment opportunities, or assistance towards their success at Winona State, students can access the Warrior Success Center on the third floor of Maxwell Hall.