Confidence in Learning: Indigenous Workshop

Lilia Barrett
An Indigenous Workshop on Feb. 6th in the Baldwin Lounge

Regan Kluver, a graduate student at Moorhead State University, held an Indigenous Workshop on Feb. 6th in the Baldwin Lounge. Kluver also has run the Native American Museum’s Undergraduate Fellowship Program at the Minnesota Historical Society.

Kluver held two workshops as a part of her visit, each being an hour and a half long. These included “Minnesota Native Nations 101” and “Native lesson plans: Ethnic Studies and Indigenous Visibility in Your Classroom.” During her time in Winona, Kluver asked her audience how confident they were in their knowledge of Minnesota Native Nations.

Grayson Smith, a second-year student who attended this workshop, responded honestly to the question.

“I know that Minnesota Native Nations is a close community of people who have a passion for the land in Minnesota,” Smith said. “I went to this workshop so I could learn more about Indigenous people because I do not believe the word is spread enough about this topic.”

Kluver explained the definition of indigenous people, for clear comprehension.

“[They are] the first peoples of the land or continent that are established communities with sovereignty prior to European contact,” Kluver said.

As she defines these important terms, Kluver expresses how often this information changes, and that it is important to be mindful and open when discussing such topics. Kluver continues through the workshop, telling people about the topics that will be discussed.

“We are going to go over the importance of language, Minnesota Native Nations, sovereignty, non-tribal and urban native communities, our lived experiences as Native people and what that might mean,” Kluver said.

Dr. Johnson, a professor from Winona State University who attended the workshop, comments on the overall experience she had by attending this event.

“It is such an important topic to educate our students about the impact that our Native Nations had on Minnesota. I am looking forward to events like this in the future,” Johnson said.

Kluver continues discussing, stressing some of the key differences between Native American and American Indian, in order to help her audience have a better understanding of the topic.

She continues to explore the impacts that Minnesota Native Nations had in her life and as well as the lives of others in regard to the making of history.

Kluver greatly pushes people toward the honor ship of the Native Nations and hopes for the continuation of recognition for the Indigenous peoples of Minnesota. Because of events like these, students and faculty at Winona State University are better able to appreciate their ancestors, as well as the rest of the Indigenous population.