Alyson Hagglund: Profile of a multitasking senior

Alyson Hagglund, who is double majoring in public relations and political science, is involved in MSUSA and the Public Relations Society of America, amongst other activities. (Photo by Emma Masiulewicz)

Dana Scott / Winonan

To some, working two campus jobs as a graduating senior, traveling weekly to the cities for an internship, assisting in creating a campaign against sexual assault and being involved in a variety of different campus organizations, might seem impossible.

Winona State University senior Alyson Hagglund, however, has done it all—in addition to having been selected as MVP in both of her majors.

Hagglund is a double major in public relations and political science. Hagglund added a political science major after taking introduction to politics with professor Kara Lindaman.

“I thought I hated politics in high school,” Hagglund said. “But it wasn’t anything like it was in high school.”

After adding another major, Hagglund was still determined to graduate in four years, and took summer courses to make this possible.

Hagglund said she sees herself going down many career paths with her two majors: working with political campaigns or in government communications.

This senior is ready to apply her skills to real life after graduation. She is also excited because working 9 to 5 will be a break from her college schedule, which is busy due to her many roles on campus.

“Freshman year I wasn’t involved and I traveled during my sophomore year,” Hagglund said. “Junior year I seemed to join everything under the sun.”

She is the campus-organizing intern for the Minnesota State University Student Association (MSUSA). MSUSA is a non-profit organization of students who advocate for other students.

In her position, Hagglund leads a team of six people she organized, and ensures everyone is getting their tasks done.

Hagglund’s favorite campaign MSUSA Winona launched was its sexual violence campaign #ItsAPeopleIssue. Hagglund reported feedback on the campaign was positive, but wishes it would have been more known about across campus.

This year MSUSA was given the “best campus committee award” for the second year in a row at the spring delegates conference.

“That was really cool,” Hagglund said. “It was a great honor.”

She has also been the secretary of the political science association and has built her connections in the political science department.

She is also a member of the Public Relations Society of America, where members tour agencies and make professional connections.

In addition, she is also vice president for the public relations department’s honor society.

Hagglund also has two jobs on campus. She works for the teaching, learning and technology department, in which she gets to create social media content. She also creates posters and other PR for the political science department.

On top of all these campus involvements, Hagglund also travels to St. Paul every Friday morning for an internship.

“My involvement has given me real-life experience,” Hagglund said. “When I start working in my field I won’t have to start at ground zero, I will have the confidence to know I can be a professional.”

Hagglund encourages other students to be involved during their own college careers.

“Do more than go to class and do homework,” Hagglund said. “There are so many opportunities that you won’t have after your four years in college, so take advantage of them—they will make you a better person.”