Winona State achieves state and national awards

Jacelyn Schley, News Reporter

USA News and World Report’s catalogue of best college rankings for 2018 places Winona State University as the second best public institution in Minnesota. The catalogue also names Winona State as ninth for all public and private universities in Minnesota.

In addition to these titles, Institutional Evaluation and Research names Winona State as one of “America’s 100 Best College Buys” for the twenty-second year in a row. The purpose of these titles stems from the affordability and the amount of quality the university offers. For “America’s 100 Best College Buys,” they look for high values in quality of education, cost of attendance and financial aid. However, USA News and World Report carefully considers each school by looking at 15 different criteria. A few points are graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, financial resources and student selectivity.

Winona State’s President Scott Olson proudly stated Winona State had a retention rate over 90 percent, a number one ranking for income from graduated students and scored well in employment for people who studied for it.

Winona State has a lot of weight in accreditation but, according to President Olson, titles are not the only thing that matters.

“It is nice when we are recognized, but we do things despite that. The intrinsic things we do is because it is the right thing to do and what we do here is who we are,” Olson said.

The mission statement for the school is “enhance the intellectual, social, cultural and economic vitality of the people and communities they serve: a community of learners improving our world.”

According to all the rankings, Winona State is doing what it is meant to do, however, that does not answer the question on what helps Winona State achieve these awards.

“Obviously it’s the students that are so awesome,” Olson said. “We try to have the best experience here for students, because their ACT scores when they come in does not define who they are. The work they put in is who they will become when they finish.”

Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Life, Denise McDowell, agrees with Olson on what makes Winona State what it is today.

“The activities and clubs we have fit perfectly with the programs students signed up for. I’m excited about all the stuff they’ll do here,” McDowell said.

Winona State students commented on how the university could improve despite the awards.

Seth Reel, a senior psychology major, had a mix of opinions towards Winona State.

“I like how our campus is integrated into the community and their blatant dedication to our success. However, as open as our university is, I don’t feel like there is enough of a student voice,” Reel said, “I feel like people need to know this university is theirs and they can change it the way they want to.”

Kaitlyn Boe, a senior psychology major, made a few suggestions on what needs improvement.

“We need another floor in the library, or at least more study spaces on campus. There is never enough seating during finals week and everywhere else is jam packed.”

First year students are the ones that are going to have to make these changes if they want to.

Emlanie Whitmore, a first year therapeutic recreation major, also had input on things Winona needs to improve on.

“The maintenance in the dorms could be better. Also, a lot of the imported goods in the bookstore are all imported from other countries,” Whitmore said, “Plus, we should be a greener campus than we are now.”