ELC explores student cultures

ELC explores student cultures

Wesley Holm, Features Reporter

Conversation Partners, an event hosted by the English Language center, took place at Winona State University on Thursday, Jan. 25.

The English Language Center (ELC), is the department on campus that assists international students with learning English. Set with its own courses and room in Minné Hall, the ELC connects the departments together to assist international students whenever and wherever possible.

Conversation Partners held students from Columbia, South Korea, West Africa, Saudi Arabia and more. Not only were students able to get a look into the cultures of international students, but the international students had the opportunity to practice their English, meet new people and learn about the cultures that people have here in America.

This event has been held on campus for 10 years in the Alumni House. Students and faculty are encouraged to go to the event to enjoy food, games and the opportunity to meet students from different cultures.

Tim Brennan, a specialist in the ELC, shares the importance of the event.

“It’s important for the international students and for the Winona State community. It’s a good bridging opportunity for the two,” Brennan said.

There were three main stations at the event. At one station, some students were playing Jenga and telling stories. At another, they were pulling cards with common questions such as, “what is your favorite holiday?” in order to prompt discussion. Another group of students would all gather around a cell phone and watch a music video of someone’s favorite music of where they are from.

Heba Aljaroudi, an international student from Saudi Arabia, has been in Winona for six months and has been actively involved with the ELC, including some of their activities.

“We do weekly activities, like last week we went bowling, and last semester we had an international bake sale,” Aljaroudi said.

She has been taking the ELC’s English courses as well, saying that “it’s easy to catch on to English.”

A common way for all the international students to stay in touch with the American students is through social media, primarily Facebook. At the end of the event, everyone passed around their phones and added each other on Facebook to share all the pictures they took together.

“Conversation Partners is an informal cultural exchange between the ELC and the Winona State students and faculty. It gives our international students the opportunity to practice English, meet people and connect with the culture in Winona,” Brennan said. “We really try to get the word out and want to get people involved.”