Dream Closet returns to Winona State

Morgan Reddekopp, Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, April 14 the fifth annual Dream Closet event will take place in Winona State University’s McCown Gym from 12 to 3 p.m. The Dream Closet Event is an event in which those in need of clothes, whether they are students or community members, can come and get used clothes for free.

According to Chloe Healy, a student in charge of the event, quite a bit of work goes into the planning of the Dream Closet, and that many companies actually donated snacks to the cause.

“What we do is we collect donations a month and a half before the event. The donations are items like clothes, shoes, jewelry or anything that you can wear,” Healy said. “Some people also donate pillow cases, sheets, and stuff like that. We get donations (of food) from Hy-Vee, Midtown Foods, and other places like that.”

At the Dream Closet, bags will be provided for holding clothes, and there will also be student volunteers present to assist others in picking out outfits.

According to Healy, the main purpose of the event is to help out the community and give to those in need.

“The main purpose of this event is to give back to the community, because we know that there is a need and we want to fill that need by using the clothing that people donate and putting it back into the community,” Healy said.

This event has grown to be so widespread that it has been moved multiple times in order to accommodate to the large number of participants.

“The first semester that (the event) was here, it was held in the lower Kryzsko area, and then we moved it to the Engagement Center in Somsen Hall,” Healy said.

The event took place in Somsen Hall for three semesters, before the need for a bigger space arose yet again which moved the event to McCown Gym. The event is taking place on a Saturday this year instead of a Sunday in hopes that more people will be able to attend.