Women find their girl gang with Panhellenic council

Contributed by Abby Shanahan

The new members of Tri Sigma pose behind their greek letters during the Bid Day celebration at the Gazebo on Sunday, Sept. 9.

Kellen Brandt, Features Reporter

Winona State University’s Formal Panhellenic recruitment for Winona State’s three national sororities took place Sept. 7-10.

The three national sororities, Alpha Sigma Tau, Delta Phi Epsilon and Sigma Sigma Sigma, help young women find their place at school and feel at home outside of classes.

The women on the Panhellenic Board all disaffiliate from their sorority during recruitment to ensure that new members receive a fair chance finding the sorority that best suits them without any bias.

Arden Heath, fifth-year cell and molecular biology major and part of Greek Life at Winona State, was one of the students who were disaffiliated from her sorority, and explained why it is important not to share her affiliation with new members.

“We want you to be yourself because we want to see your heart and want you to find a place where your heart feels at home. We don’t want girls to pick a sorority based off who is already a member,” Heath said. “We welcome all majors, orientations, everything so we do not want girls to base their decisions off what the girls in each sorority already do.”

The second day of recruitment was a philanthropy round. Each of the three chapters gave back to their philanthropy by doing a small activity. Alpha Sigma Tau decorated teddy bears and wrote letters to send to either of their three local philanthropies: New Horizons, Grace Place or Hope Harbor. Delta Phi Epsilon put their insecurities in a bottle and colored in roses, which  are representative of cystic fibrosis. Sigma Sigma Sigma made tie blankets for children and babies in the hospital and wrote cards to their families.

Maddy Moran, senior nursing major and president of Panhellenic, is also a member of one of Winona State’s national sororities. Moran was also disaffiliated with her sorority during Panhellenic recruitment. Moran shares the affect her sorority has had on her life.

“I had no interest at first, I didn’t think it would be the right fit for me, but once I went to Panhellenic I learned about all the chapters and I fell in love with the philanthropies. Joining a sorority has given me so many volunteering opportunities and has given me confidence to speak up about concerns and trying to make a change,” Moran said

Many girls enjoy Greek Life because of how much sororities give back. Alpha Sigma Tau supports the women’s wellness initiative, Delta Phi Epsilon supports the Education Foundation, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. Sigma Sigma Sigma also supports the education foundation and many children’s foundations.

“I have met women out in the work field who were a part of a sorority and it makes such a bond,” Moran said. “I found the greatest friends I could ask for, girls say you will meet your future bridesmaids, but it is so much more than that.”

Maddy Trog, sophomore nursing major and part of Delta Phi Epsilon, explains why Greek Life is so special to her.

“The most impactful thing I have done was choreograph our lip sync and our fall fundraiser ‘Deepher Dude,’ it was a lot of work, but in the end, it was so worth it. We raised so much money for the cystic fibrosis foundation. It is so amazing to know that there are so many people just a phone call away to help you with everything. Best decision I have ever made,” Trog said.

The young women at Winona State are dedicated to ensuring Greek Life is seen in a good light through hard work and determination in supporting their philanthropies and supporting all the young women in Greek Life.

“Social media features Greek Life in a negative way. In reality, everyone is here to support each other and what we stand for. The perceptions of sororities are changing and we want to keep that momentum going to make sure that people see how good sororities are,” Heath said.