Track and Field competes in South Dakota

Barry Allen, Sports Reporter

The Winona State University women’s track and field team competed at the Mark Schuck Open in Mankato, Minnesota on Friday, Jan. 25 and, for the third straight meet, a member of the Warriors set a new indoor program record.

The latest record to be broken was in the 400m hurdles, where sophomore Kalley Harris not only set a new school-record, but also a facility record in Myers Fieldhouse, when she finished with a time of 1:02.53.

Two more Winona State runners had strong finishes in the 400m hurdles as well, with seniors Kari Schneiss (1:04.84) and Amanda Wanie (1:05.24) taking second and third-place to finish out a trio of Warriors at the top of the event.

Harris had another first-place finish during the two-day event when she ran a time of 1:38.00 in the 600m run. Schneiss placed third in the same event with a time of 1:40.23.

In the 800m run, senior Ali Johnson (2:16.61) made it three weeks in-a-row where she finished in the top spot at the event. Junior Anna Rogahn was close behind as she finished third overall with a time of 2:17.49.

In the field events, the dynamic duo of senior Tamika Tucker and sophomore Kristi Springer saw two more first-place finishes for the Warriors.

Springer’s 11.76m triple jump was good enough for first and Tucker leapt to an NCAA provisional distance of 5.72m. Tucker’s mark is a new career-long and moved the senior into second place all-time in Winona State indoor history. First-year Madison Rizner also competed in the triple jump and saw a fourth-place finish with a distance of 11.23m.

The Warrior’s distance medley team of Rogahn, Johnson, Hope Willenbrink and Brittany Schyvinck won with a time of 12:01.75, which puts them at second-best in the program’s history.

The 200m dash saw sisters Brittany (senior) and Brooklyn (first-year) Schyvinck finish closely, with Brittany taking second and Brooklyn taking fourth. Brittany ran a time of 25.27 seconds while Brooklyn finished with a time of 25.64 seconds.

Junior sprinter Johnna Patterson was asked about traveling to Mankato multiple times this year, and the shorter travel proved to be something she enjoyed.

“We like traveling to Mankato because it’s fairly close relative to other meets,” Patterson said.

The Warriors will return to Mankato next weekend for the Ted Nelson Classic. Patterson commented on the team keeping their focus ahead of the next meet saying,

“We keep each other motivated by being the best we can be individually, because if you are surrounded by motivation, positivity, and success, then you are likely to adapt the same,” Patterson said.

The Ted Nelson Classic will be held on Saturday, Feb. 2.