Tennis creates racket with season-opening wins at home

Jenna Statz, Sports Reporter

Winona State University women’s tennis team is coming into their spring season with great past records.

Last season, the team recorded a 9-8 season including going 8-3 in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC). This past fall, the Warriors went 3-0 in their exhibition matches in preparation of the spring season, against University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

When asked how the team looks this season, head coach Heather Reilly, who is in her eighth year with the program, said the team looks great.

“They seem confident and ready to compete,” Reilly said.

Reilly then went on to describe the team’s strengths.

“Our strengths this year will be the depth in our line up and the experience of our three seniors,” Reilly said.

As for the team, players Tayla Card, Kendra Kappes and Kaisey Skibba are all returning as seniors entering their final year at Winona State.

The team also includes juniors Caitlin Anderson and Rina Niehoff, sophomores Brooke Holloway, Mya Lubben, Beth Murman and Faith Young, and finally freshman Audrey Delich, Brooke Jorgensen, and Rachel Kelly.

Reilly said she is excited about this season’s team.

Playing at singles was Murman who went for a 6-3, 2-6, 13-11 win. Kappes and Card also taking victories over the Huskies. Kelly had an impressive debut with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at a singles matchup and first-year Brooke Jorgensen added a 6-1, 6-2 win.

The Warriors capped off their weekend with a 7-0 win over Minnesota Duluth on Saturday, Feb. 8.

Once again, the doubles’ teams took care of business, sweeping the Bulldogs and then continued dominating as they moved into singles matchups sweeping the competition.

Skibba and Murman started things off for Winona State as they took a 6-2 victory in their double’s matchup, Kappes and Kelly added another win for the team as the won 6-0, finishing things off in the doubles matchups was Niehoff and Card who out lasted their competition 6-3.

Winona State had six team members posting wins on Saturday afternoon including, Murman, Kappes, Skibba, Kelly, Card, and Niehoff.

The Warrior tennis team will travel next to Sioux Falls, S.D. to take on Augustana University and University of Sioux Falls on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 6 p.m. and Sunday the 16 at 9 a.m.

The opinions expressed in this paper are not necessarily those of Winona State University, the Minnesota State Colleges and University system, or the Winona State University student body.