Pet a Therapy Dog event returns in-person

Lynda Brzezinski is the campus counselor and professor who facilitates the Pet A Therapy Dog event, held every Wednesday, 3:30-4:30 p.m. through Oct. 27. The event was virtual last year, but returned to an in-person format this semester with extra precautions.

Gabriel Hathaway and Carter Hilde

Winona State University’s Pet a Therapy Dog event helps relieve students of stress and anxiety. The event was virtual last year, but returned to an in-person format this semester with added precautions, requiring facemasks and hand sanitization.
Lynda Brzezinski is the campus counselor and professor who facilitates the Pet A Therapy Dog event, held every Wednesday, 3:30-4:30 p.m. through Oct. 27. Brzezinski also provides animal assisted therapy in her office with registered therapy dogs Aiden, a nine year old boxer/pug mix, and Winston, a 10 year old blue heeler/rat terrier mix. Brzezinski’s approach was radical.
“I was actually taking one of my dogs through class many, many years ago, and they [Winona State] offered me therapy dog training,” Brzezinski said. “Winston was the first therapy dog in the Minnesota State system.”
Brzezinski supports animal assisted therapy and said there is a lot of research behind it.
Brzezinski’s experience parallels examples in clinical literature. One example of this research is from a Johns Hopkins Medicine article entitled “The Friend Who Keeps You Young”. This research explains how petting a dog lowers cortisol levels (the stress hormone) while increasing oxytocin levels (the love hormone). Brzezinski added that the dog receives the same hormonal release.
“Physiologically [the person’s] heart rate starts to slow down a little bit; anxious feelings start to calm themselves out. So, there’s a lot of physical benefits, and then it helps the emotional side,” Brzezinski said.
The dog’s presence helps break down barriers in therapy, Brzezinski said. She recalled an occasion, a student had a tough time talking about her assault and the dog helped.

“She just reached down and started petting the dog, and then continued to talk about what was going on,” Brzezinski said. “I think in that moment the dog provided her a sense of comfort and allowed her to continue to share her story.” 

At the Pet a Therapy Dog Day event, attending students reported similar feelings of comfort and lowered stress levels.

Students sat outside the northwest entrance of the Integrated Wellness Center (IWC) with huge smiles on their faces, as Brzezinski walked Aiden, the therapy dog, around to everyone. 

First-year biochemistry major, Miguel Pena Ramirez, commented how the Pet A Therapy Dog event helped his mood. 

“Before the event, I was a little overwhelmed with all the homework that I had,” Ramirez said. “Coming here, looking at the dogs and seeing everyone else smile has definitely helped.” 

Rose Anderson, a first-year student majoring in studio arts, said that Aiden helped her through a near panic attack. She urged other students to attend the event. 

“Come see it [a therapy dog] because it might help you more than you think,” Anderson said. 

Over the course of the hour, the event attracted about 50 visitors, Brzezinski said. Of the students interviewed, all said they enjoyed the event and planned to attend again. 

Brzezinski said the Pet a Therapy Dog event is also great for students missing their pets back home. Nearly every participant interviewed reported having a dog or multiple at home and missing them. 

Ramirez echoed this sentiment, stating how he missed his dog but was happy to get to pet one at school. Ramirez also said that events such as the Pet A Therapy Dog event are a good way to put yourself out there. 

“From someone who’s only been here three weeks, put yourself out there,” Ramirez said. “Come to events like these. It definitely helps when it comes to making new friends and getting comfortable with the college environment in general.”

A therapy dog is beneficial for all parties involved: the students, the dog and its owner. In addition to scientific benefits such as hormonal releases to lower stress levels, of which the dog feels as well, students unanimously reported feeling significantly better after the Pet a Therapy Dog Day event. 

“I find it just as rewarding to share the dogs with the students,” Brzezinski said. “I love seeing the smiles that come on students’ faces when they’re interacting with one of my dogs.”