Off the grid: The Winona boathouse community

Nathan Kronbeck

On March 1, Women’s, gender, and sexuality studies professor Mary Jo Klinker invited Gina Favano and Suzanne Hogan, the hosts and creators of “Back Channel Radio”, to discuss the importance of the Winona Boathouse community. Favano is a member of the Winona community and has preserved the history of Winonans and the island of Latsch. Both Favano, Hoganm and Klinker discussed the importance of the Winona Bouathouse community as a way to kick off Women’s History Month.

Madeline Mill, News Reporter

What do boat houses, women’s history month and queer studies all have in common?

Women’s, gender, and sexuality studies professor Mary Jo Klinker invited Gina Favano and Suzanne Hogan, the hosts and creators of “Back Channel Radio”, to discuss the importance of the Winona Boathouse community on March 1 to kick off Women’s History Month.

This community, stationed on lower Latsch Island, is the only legal, habitable boat house community on the Mississippi river. Founded in the early 1970s, the population of this group has risen to about 120 boat houses.

Favano, a member of this community, has a passion for preserving the history of these people, many of whom have lived there for their entire lives.

“We did a deep dive to ensure the history of the island was secured,” Favano said.

To many women and people of the LGBTQ+ community, this kind of “off the grid” living provides a safe space and a strong sense of supportive community.

John Rupkey, who passed away in 2022, was the unofficial scribe and historian of the island. Rupkey was also openly gay and lived on the island for much of his life.

Favano, a close friend of Rupkey, sees the island as a safe place for all kinds of unique, tough and sensitive people.

“I think it speaks to a different way these subcultures connect us,” Favano said.

During the talk held on March 1, Favano discussed a few of the people and stories mentioned on her podcast. Favano emphasized how she felt compelled to tell the stories of people, but also present a balanced view of the island.

Favano gave a brief overview of a few of the stories discussed on the podcast, like cream corn wrestling and UFO songs.

Hogan, who helped create the podcast, believes that a podcast is an easy way for anyone to get their story out into the universe. Hogan feels like “Back Channel Radio” is promoting stories of a community that otherwise may have gone unheard.

“If people don’t know it’s there, they aren’t going to try and find it,” Hogan said.

Favano and Hogan have high hopes for further preserving the history of the island. Favano is currently working on an online visual archive while also compiling material for a book on the Winona boat house community.

For more information on the Winona boathouse community, check out Favano and Hogan’s podcast, “Back Channel Radio”, on any podcast streaming platform.