Soccer dominates weekend games

Nicole Girgen

Senior Mikaella Sabinash looks to pass the ball on Friday, Sept. 29 at Altra Federal Credit Union Stadium against University of Minnesota Duluth.

Sydney Mohr, Features Editor

It was a chilly night as the Winona State University women’s soccer team took to Altra Federal Credit Union Stadium for their match against the near undefeated University of Minnesota Duluth, but the Warriors were victorious nonetheless. On Friday, Sept. 29 Winona State won their twelfth match of the season 2-1.

Duluth was holding a record of 6-1-1, while Winona held a record of 3-4-1. Despite the records against them, the women entered the field slapping each other’s backs and cheering.

Within the first minute of the game, the Warriors claimed the ball from the Bulldogs. A few moments later, there was a ball trip by the Bulldogs, which was regained by the Warriors and then shot by junior Abby Bohanski.

In minute nine, sophomore Courtney Wiencek made a shot which was blocked by the Bulldog’s goalie, and then a minute later shot a successful goal. That goal marked Wiencek’s third goal of the 2017 season. The goal was scored off a pass by junior Maggie Ruelle after she took possession of the ball from a corner kick.

The game was a back and forth battle between the teams. After the first goal from the Warriors, senior goalie Rachel Olesen made two saves within five minutes, and then a diving save in minute 15. Oleson maintained a strong defense, managing to block nearly all of the seven shots made on the goal by the Bulldogs.

The Warriors started to fumble in the first half as they tried to keep up with the Bulldogs. A few more shots were made on the goal, with no luck to the Warriors.

In minute 58, the Bulldogs tied the game with a goal. With the pressure on, the Warriors regrouped and entered the game ready to score. Only ten minutes later, first-year Melissa Greco scored her first goal as a Warrior.

Junior Darian Molter led the team with five total shots throughout the night, with her and Wiencek having two on goal.

Despite efforts from the Bulldogs who made 17 total shots and seven on goal, Olesen managed to keep the goal covered and the Warriors came out of the game with their fourth win of the season.

The Warriors made 11 total shots with six on goal. Both teams were given six fouls and one yellow card. After the game, the Warriors rushed to the center of the field in a swarm of cheers and hugs, celebrating the win.

Winona State also played against St. Cloud State University on Sunday, Oct. 1 at home. They won with one goal, shot in the 50th minute by Wiencek, making that her fourth goal of the 2017 season. The Warriors now stand at 4-4-1 for the season.

Winona State will play University of Sioux Falls on Friday, Oct. 6 at 5 p.m. in Sioux Falls,

S.D.