International coffee hour joins Education Week

McKenna Scherer, Editor-in-Chief

Everybody needs some fuel to get through the day; things like food, water, and popular among students, coffee. Fortunately, the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) on Winona State University’s campus know this and bring International Coffee Hour to campus every month.

However, in the upcoming weeks, Coffee Hour will get a twist: in conjunction with the International Education Week, Coffee Hour will appear as the “Global Scoop” in theme with the rest of the week.

Occurring on Nov. 13 from 4:30- 5:30 p.m. in the International Office in Kryzsko Commons, the event is a way to connect students of all backgrounds together as well as with the community.

It is a way to “promote community engagement through conversations with international students and community members,” as stated on the event’s social media.

The International Education Week brought in the International Coffee Hour to further expand the week’s activities. The week is an initiative brought to campus by the collaboration between the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education, with activities at Winona State occurring Nov. 13-16.

Winona State’s website described this week as a way to “promote programs that prepare American students for a global environment, and to engage with students from abroad to study, learn and exchange experiences.”

This fall semester of International Coffee Hour kicked off Oct. 2 with the next dates occurring on Nov. 13 and Dec. 4, while spring dates will be out next semester. Coffee Hour has been occurring once a month every semester at Winona State for the past four to five years on campus and partners with other events during International Education Week and with International Student and Scholar Services.

Activities at the International Coffee Hour: The Global Scoop event includes not only coffee and drinks but samples of frozen foods and treats from different cultures and putting your name onto the Winona State Warriors World Map to let everyone know where you are from, where you have studied and where you want to explore next.

The International Education Week has several events for every day, ending its first day with the Global Scoop and continuing through the week with events including several study-abroad information panels, Korean Night and Malaysian Night.

Sarah Cheong, the media and marketing student coordinator for the International Student and Scholar Services Office, commented on what the International Coffee Hour frequently incorporates.

“We are always looking for collaborators within the community,” Cheong said. “Everyone is welcomed to come and join in the conversation about the topic of the month, and there are cupcakes, coffee and tea available for all to enjoy. [It’s a] monthly opportunity for students to come learn and enjoy different company.”

Events hosted by the ISSS have partnered with several different clubs and organizations like Project FINE and the Warrior Success Center Advising Services, which widen the kinds of events available. With the Global Scoop event and the entire week of events, a collaborative effort is being made between ISSS, the Global Center, English Language Programs of Winona State University and Winona State Study Abroad.